Even though traditional fax machines are fast being replaced by e-mail and Internet fax services.
it’s still important to know how to use this workplace workhorse. Here are some basic instructions for sending and receiving a fax.
Sending a Fax with a Computer
If you already have a fax service installed on your computer, then usually the process of sending a fax with a computer goes as follows:
1.Open the program you want to use to fax
2.Select the document that you want to have faxed
3.Prepare a cover page to put on top of that document
4.Select the option to “fax””
5.Enter the fax number you want to send to
6.Select the option to “send.”
7.Wait for the document to finish sending
8.Send another fax, or close the program
Using Wireless Internet to Send a Fax
Using wireless internet (Wi-Fi) to send a fax is as straightforward as sending it over a cellular connection.
You sign up for an computer fax provider, then send an email just as you would normally send an email. Here’s a quick step by step guide:
1. Pick an online fax provider and sign up
2. Compose a new email over Wi-Fi as you normally would send an email
3. In the recipient section, type the fax number of your recipient followed by the online address of your fax provider, like by typing email@example.com.
4. Add a cover letter to your fax by typing something into the body of the email
5. Click “Send” after you’ve verified all of the information is complete.
How to Use a Fax Machine
- Make sure the fax machine is plugged into a power source and also plugged into a working phone jack.
- Turn the fax machine on.
- Obtain the fax number of the destination fax machine.
- Gather the documents you want to send and put them in the order you want them to be received.
- Fill out a separate piece of paper called a coversheet with the recipient’s name, fax number/phone number, your name, your phone number, a short message and number of pages (including coversheet).
- Lay the documents face-up in the fax machine feeder tray with the coversheet on top
- Dial the recipient’s fax number (dialing instructions for international calls)
- Press the “fax” or “send” button, depending on the particular fax machine model
Now the fax machine will scan each of the document pages into its memory.